Medicamentalia II - Vaccines
Medicamentalia II focuses on the analysis of development, marketing and delivery of vaccines to explain differences in access to health.
- €19,925 Budget in Euros
- 2017-02-15 Final release date
- 6 Round winner
- 3 Locations
- 6 Durations in months
Following up on the investigation started with Medicamentalia.org in 2015, we aim to tackle the complex issue of vaccine prices and how they affect the prevalence of specific illnesses in the developing world.
We will investigate the many stakeholders involved in the development, marketing and delivery of vaccines and immunisation plans. To that purpose, we’ll use multimedia and data visualization techniques to explain the problem from different perspectives and how the life prospects of millions of people around the world are affected.
Our stories will focus on:
- Which is the relation between levels of immunisation, the prevalence of related diseases and the prices of vaccines for the 12 basic WHO vaccines?
- How are vaccine prices set? A review of the current development and patent system as well as the international vaccine market.
- The international community has implemented different financial schemes to support countries in the procurement of vaccines. Are they being effective?
- What alternatives exist to traditional development and marketing strategies of vaccines?
The team will visit health centres, labs and distribution areas to understand, first hand, how the prices of vaccines affect the patients and how greater access to them could be a radical change in the quality of life of many citizens.
Click on any photo to view the image gallery lightbox at fullscreen.