What is the relation between a bee and your fridge? Without them, the 52% of the offer provided by the supermarket maybe are endangered, according to Whole Food Market research.
"Hunger for bees" wants to tell the possible repercussions on our food system that could bring the decrease of the bee population. Bees are silent, and unpaid, workers. The value of their work in terms of pollination is estimated around US$235 billion and worldwide the 75% of world’s foods crops depends at least or in part on pollination, according to FAO. 'Pollinated crops include those that provide fruit, vegetables, seeds, nuts are important dietary sources of vitamins and minerals“, as latest The Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) press release shows.
Human food demand is expected to be roughly the double in 2050, while increasing water scarcity, land degradation, and climate change are challenges to the production; therefore, that the declined of the extensive pollinator could easily constrain capacity to meet future needs. Why a lot of beekeepers found their hives empties or others have seen their bees dying in droves? Pesticides, climate change, monoculture and other diseases are the perpetrators of this crime. The population of bees are disappearing between 3,5 % and 33,6 each winter, depending from the countries, according to the European Commission. In Italy, there is the most polluted pollen of Europe, shows a Greenpeace's research. In this country, from the Northern corn monoculture until citrus field on the heels of the italian boot, bees are dying or get lost.
In the other corner of the world, India, is one of the world points of most pollination dependence, according to the statistic studies published on the The Lancet. Without bees maybe they will reduce their food production of 1/3. And what would be the impact on health of people? Because pollination ensure micronutrient, source of vitamin A, iron and foliate and their lack could cause malnutrition and some deficiency, especially for women and girls.
How bees, silent workers, could occupy a new relevant role in our future food security? Could be a new start to find sustainable ways of food sovereignty? Hunger for bees will be a multimedia graphic novel that will integrate photos, videos, text and infographic published with the occasion of World Food Day, 16 th of October.
© Video and illustration by Andrea Lucio.
- EFE Verde: Abejas: las centinelas de nuestras mesas (ES )
- EFE Verde: Parthiban (ES )
- EFE Verde: Neema (ES )
- EFE Verde: Johannes (ES )
- EFE Verde: Giorgio (ES )
- The Hindu: Hunger for bees (EN )
- La Repubblica Le Inchieste: I pastori delle api che salvano i raccolti (IT )
- La Repubblica: "Porto le api a spasso per l'Italia per farle sfuggire ai veleni" (IT )
- La Repubblica: Parthiban, l'apicoltore dilettante che fa amare le api ai contadini indiani (IT )
- La Repubblica: Il racconto di Neema, contadina indiana: "Le api mi hanno salvata dalla fame" (IT )
- La Repubblica: Malles, il paese delle Dolomiti che ha vietato i pestidici con un referendum (IT )
- New Internationalist: Little insects, big impact. By introducing bee hives to their fields, Indian farmers are improving productivity – and lives. (EN )
- New Internationalist: A bee-friendly path to a healthier future (EN )
- Teleaesse: Il reportage Hunger for bees al Congresso dell'apicoltura professionale AAPI di Vasto (IT )
- New Internationalist. Parthiban: the bee man from Tamil Nadu (EN )
- New Internationalist. Neema: how bees save indian farmers from starvation. (EN )
- New Internationalist. Giorgio: an Italian nomadic beekeeper (EN )
- New Internationalist. Johannes: an alpine pharmacist against pesticides (EN )
- Il Golosario: Hunger for Bees al Festival del Giornalismo Alimentare di Torino (IT )
- Greenpeace Galicia: Proyección Hunger4Bees, Salvemos las abejas! (ES )
- Greenpeace Compostela - Cinefórum "Hunger for Bees" (ES )
- Slow Food International: #Hunger4Bees, le déclin des abeilles influence notre alimentation ! (FR )
- Slow Food International:#Hunger4Bees, ¡por qué la disminución de las abejas influye sobre tu alimentación! (ES )
- Il Fatto Alimentare: Api e Terra dei Fuochi: le silenziose paladine protagoniste di un progetto di biomonitoraggio sui metalli pesanti (IT )
- Il Fatto Alimentare: Le sentinelle della sicurezza alimentare della Terra dei fuochi (IT )
- Il Fatto Alimentare: I risultati delle analisi di laboratorio (IT )
- Il Fatto Alimentare: Dalle mele annurche alle mozzarelle, il contributo dell'impollinazione (IT )
- Festival Clorofilla Festambiente: debutta il documentario di Hunger For Bees (IT )
- Radio Onda Rossa: Intervista le autrici di Hunger For Bees (IT )
- El País Planeta Futuro: Sikkim: el paraíso orgánico de la India (ES )
- El País Planeta Futuro: La utopía verse (ES )