The story investigates how a growing proportion of EU development aid resources are being diverted to support projects aimed at stemming migration flows. The project explores the issue from two perspectives: top-down, by data analysis of shifting funds allocation; and bottom-up, by collecting stories and evidence from the ground in recipient African countries.
The first part of the investigation will be carried out with datajournalism tools: through maps, info-graphics and animated Gif we will track EU development funds allocations and movements. The second part of the story consists of multimedia (written, photo and video) reportage based on testimonies and evidence about how Eu resources are being spent in Mali and Niger. Text piece will be accompanied by shareable short videos and graphics that will include photos, maps and data visualizations.
News on Eu development funds spent to stem migration flows are already being published on
Twitter: with the hashtag #DivertedAid.
Photo: Agadez IOM transit camp. Copyright: Sara Prestianni
- I fondi destinati a combattere la povertà usati in Africa per controllare i migranti. (IT ,ITALY ,LA STAMPA ,2017)
- “Sequestrati e rapinati dalla polizia del Niger, per noi il vero incubo è tornare a casa” (IT ,ITALY ,LA STAMPA ,2017)
- Civipol, la multinazionale francese che vende sicurezza in Africa (IT ,ITALY ,LA STAMPA ,2017)
- Parola d’ordine esternalizzare: soldi europei agli Stati africani per fermare il flusso dei migranti (IT ,ITALY ,LA STAMPA ,2017)
- Giro: “Cooperazione in materia di sicurezza è materia delicata. L’Europa controlli” (IT ,ITALY ,LA STAMPA ,2017)
- La UE usa fondos de la lucha contra la pobreza para frenar la llegada de migrantes (SP ,SPAIN ,EL DIARIO ,2017)
- La "horrible" vuelta atrás de los migrantes que abandonan el sueño de cruzar el Mediterráneo (SP ,SPAIN ,EL DIARIO ,2017)
- Así invierten los fondos europeos Níger y Malí, socios de la UE en el control de fronteras (SP ,SPAIN ,EL DIARIO ,2017)
- España lidera dos proyectos de control de fronteras financiados con fondos europeos de cooperación (SP ,SPAIN ,EL DIARIO ,2017)
- Au Niger et au Mali, avec les migrants de retour de Libye. (FR ,FRANCE ,MEDIAPART ,2017)
- Africa: EU uses development funds for migration control (EN ,I ,AFRONLINE ,2017)
- Martin Ruiz de Gordejuela (European Commission’s spokesperson): “Migration should always be considered in a broader perspective” (EN ,I ,AFRONLINE ,2017)
- In Niger and Mali among migrants returning back from Libya (EN ,I ,AFRONLINE ,2017)
- Migration: EU money in exchange for border controls in Africa (EN ,I ,AFRONLINE ,2017)
- Civipol, the French multinational that sells security in Africa (IT ,ITALY ,AFRONLINE ,2017)
- Libia, la Guardia Costiera viene pagata con i soldi della Cooperazione (IT ,ITALY ,REPUBBLICA ,2017)
- Migranti: fondi per la povertà usati contro i diritti umani (IT ,ITALY ,RADIO VATICANA ,2017)
- A casa loro (IT ,ITALY ,RADIORAI3 ,2017)
- Diverted Aid on TgCom24 (IT ,ITALY ,MEDIASET TGCOM24 ,2017)
- Pour contrôler les migrations l'Europe utilise le fonds de l’aide au développement (FR ,2017)
- Fonds en échange de contrôle (FR ,2017)
- CIVIPOL, la multinationale française qui vend de la sécurité en Afrique (FR ,2017)
- Interview to Ludovica Jona on the collective investigation "Diverted Aid" (IT ,ITALY ,LA NUOVA ECOLOGIA ,2017)
- Teaser - Facts and numbers of EU border control in Niger in 1 minute
- Mohamed Anacko, Governor of Agadez speaks about the consecuences of the European policies aimed at blocking migration flows towards Lybia.
- Arthur, Gambian migrant in Niamey tells the story of the difficult way back from Lybia due to violence and extortions made by the nigerien police.
- Mohamed Bakoum, Ministry of the Interior of Niger speaks about Niger's government action to stop migration flows and asks the European Union for military equipment.
- Hassan Boukar from Alternative Espace Citoyen, speaks about the consecuences of the militarization of the city of Agadez for stemming migration flows towards Europe.
- The member of European Parliament Ellie Shlein speaks of the consecuences of the European development money spent for border control.
- Motion graphic - How a growing proportion of Eu development money is spent on migration management and border control