Juba in the Making tells the story of the development of Juba, the capital city of South Sudan, a country which became independent in 2011 after decades of wars, and where a new armed conflict started in 2013 as a consequence of a months-long political crisis within the young country's ruling party.
Rich in oil resources, highly supported by international aid agencies but still subject to violence, South Sudan has seen its capital city grow almost from scratch, at a challenging speed. Looking at the huts surrounding high-rises under construction, one wonders: where is this city heading? Who is shaping its future? Can Juba's development become sustainable? What is the impact of the current conflict on the development of the city and on the lives, efforts and hopes of its citizens?
Juba in the Making is a webdocumentary that explores Juba through a game. Viewers will choose among several characters and explore the city through their stories: a returnee resettling in Juba after years in exile, a carpenter starting his workshop, a female university student involved in environmental advocacy, among others. In the course of the game, viewers will be introduced to various contents about the history and culture of Juba city.
This webdocumentary offers to a wide audience an in-depth experience in the city of Juba, before and after war broke out again in South Sudan at the end of 2013. Designed before anybody could foresee this new war happening, Juba In The Making now includes the narrative of the conflict – a conflict which, besides all the deaths and destruction it has caused accross South Sudan, has derailed the boom of Juba, stripping the city of its title of "fastest growing city in the world". Juba is now hit by a major economic crisis. Development or decline? Juba is now at a crossroads, and Juba In The Making's characters explore the various possibilities laying ahead for this city and this young country's future. Involved alongside residents and stakeholders who, despite all challenges, are making Juba day by day, the audience learns about and questions global patterns at stake in this unique case-study.
The audience can access Juba in the Making's Italian, French or English versions on the websites of selected media partners.
- Juba in the Making: Project homepage (EN/FR/IT)
- Juba in the Making: Project Blog (EN)
- Juba in the Making: Facebook page (EN)
- Juba in the Making: publication on L'Humanité (FR)
- Juba in the Making: publication on web-documentaire.org
- Juba In The Making: Vimeo, Trailer FR (FR)
- Juba in the Making: YouTube, trailer IT (IT)
- Juba in the Making: Youtube, extract of the project (EN)
- Juba in the Making: Youtube, extract of the project (IT)
- Juba in the Making: Youtube, extract of the project (FR)
- Juba in the Making: Twitter (EN)
- Le Mag' de l'Afrique de l'Est: Juba: comment traiter les déchets (FR )
- Il Fatto Quotidiano: Freelance in Sud Sudan. ‘Qui c’è fame di notizie. Racconto Juba col crowdfunding’ (IT )
- Golem Informazione: Giornalista italiana si licenzia e va lavorare in Sud Sudan (IT )
- Punto Informatico: Una capitale in costruzione (IT )
- Female World: Juba in the making: molto più che un documentario (IT )
- Chiavenna: La bella storia di Gabriela Jacomella (IT )
- Friuli Gazzettino: Docu-gioco africano da Juba (IT )